Rafael Nadal withdraws from Laver Cup due to ‘personal reasons’
It hasn’t been an easy week for Rafael Nadal as he’s found himself being labelled a cheater and a quitter for his exit from the Laver Cup – a prestigious tournament in Australia which has been held every year since 2000.
Nadal’s withdrawal on Sunday left an open question mark looming over his future as he has never fully recovered from the knee injury he sustained at the Australian Open earlier this year.
The 32-year-old, who won back-to-back titles at the French Open and Australian Open earlier this year, said his body couldn’t be the same this time around and, hence, he could not take part in the tournament in Canberra from next week.
With all eyes on him – particularly those of his compatriot, Roger Federer – the former world No.1 has been forced into a tough decision.
“I would like to say that the withdrawal of Rafael Nadal leaves me with a void in the field for sure,” said world No.3 Federer who had to withdraw from a similar tournament earlier this year after tearing his hamstring during his US Open campaign.
“I think this tournament was one of my goals and I would like to think it would’ve provided for me, at least, a good opportunity to play the top guys. Unfortunately I just got injured and I couldn’t do it.”
The news of Nadal’s withdrawal had sparked a wave of speculation, but the world No.13 has now issued a statement on his Facebook page, explaining the reasons why he has taken the decision and confirming he will play some singles and doubles matches in the second half of the season.
“I am sorry to come to this decision,” said Nadal.
“It’s not the easiest one, but I took it because it’s the best decision for me. I will try to work as much as possible, and I hope to get to a place where I can still play a long